Bend Over Backwards To Keep Your Word
- Your children will follow your example – Children do as they see and repeat what they hear. If you don’t live up to what you say why should they?
- You will demonstrate that you’re untrustworthy – People don’t trust others who don’t mean what they say and why should they.
- You could possibly damage the self-esteem of others – If a person depends on you and you constantly let me them down it will eventually affect their self-esteem. They may feel unworthy, not cared for and eventually give up on you or worst themselves.
- You will demonstrated that you’re unreliable – You will never become a part of a team or a relationship. You will demonstrate that you can’t carry your weight and you’re not a team player. You will never be able to make a commitment.
- You will demonstrate that you lack character – Where I come from, your word is your bond. It’s what makes you stick to another person or task. It’s equivalent to a hand shake. Character is reflection of who you are, you values, and your morals.
Know that what you do or don’t do affects other people in your life. People want to feel that they can depend on you and that you will be there for them when needed. They want to know that you’re believable. These traits are essential when you have children involved and also come into play with friendships and intimate relationships. Not keeping your word is hurtful.
At some point we must all grow up and bend over backwards to keep our word. Life is not all fun and games, and letting another down can be devastating. Being responsible is what separates the men from the boys and the women from the girls. Learn to follow through when you say that you will do something and demonstrate that you can be depended on.
Most importantly, not keeping your word is a serious character flaw that must be improved if you want to be a good parent and maintain other important relationships. Are you teaching your child to keep their word and are you demonstrating how? Are you in a friendship or relationship where you are constantly being let down? If so, you may want to reassess it. People dish out what you’e willing to accept.
Photo courtesy of stockvault.net