Spring break is around the corner. Vacations at the beach and Disney World are being planned. But not everyone wants to head to the beach or afford a trip to Disney. No worries, we have a few ideas that will make the kids happy and in turn make you happy. Having fun and getting a little R & R doesn’t require families to spend big bucks. With a little planning, a staycation can be the perfect solution for a family. Check out our list of spring break ideas:
1. Plan a sleep over for the kids and their friends – First, put this idea at the top of your list. Kids love spending the night with friends. Have a few friends bring their sleeping bags. Clip a few coupons from you local pizzeria. Additionally, mix up a batch of punch and watch a few movies.
2. Send the kids to grandma’s – Second, the kids would love to spend a few days at grandma’s. And I guarantee grandma would love have them.
3. Visit local museums – Spend the day visiting a local museum, car show, or art gallery etc.
4. Check the library for story hour or other programs – Furthermore, many libraries offer preschool story hour and other activities. For example, our local library is offering a Lego Challenge, Minecraft Computer, classes on Japanese Culture etc. So, hope on-line and check the activities.
5. Plan a craft day for the kids – Check out Pinterest for spring crafts that you can make with the kids.
6. Go bike riding – Clean up the bikes and helmets and head out for the day.
7. Set up a Sundae Bar – Next, don’t spend money at Sweet Frog. Make your own sundae bar. I set up a bar with my grandchildren and they love it. Check out my post How to Set up a Sundae Bar for Kids.
8. Reward the kids with movie night in the backyard – If you don’t have a project or screen, try to rent or borrow one.
9. Visit your local Family Fun Center – In addition to playing games at home, spend the day playing games and snacking at your local family center.
10. Play Miniature Golf – Kids love playing miniature golf. Check out the local
11. Have game day with yummy snacks – Chess, Twister, Checkers, Operation, Candy Land and others make great game day games. Also, it’s a way to unplug and spend quality time together as a family.
12. Campout in the backyard – Additionally, build a campfire and pitch a tent. Plan a hot dog and marshmallow roast. Use these Marshmallow Roasting Forks. They’re great for roasting both hot dogs and marshmallows.
13. Head to your favorite family restaurant – Plan a day to go out to eat. Check out our 22 Places Kids Can Eat for Free.
14. Check out the local theatres – So, many of the theatres have matinees that are affordable. Check out local theatres for a possible family outing for plays, concerts or shows.
15. Plan a trip to a hotel – Also consider booking a hotel room for a day or two. Make sure the hotel has an indoor pool and a restaurant. It’s a mini vacation away from home.
16. Head to the beach or an amusement park– Last, if you live in a warmer area head to the beach. Pack snacks and sandwiches and relax while the kids have fun. Also, check out spring break discounts for your local amusement park.
Finally, we hope that you enjoyed our spring break ideas. Most importantly, we hope that they inspire you to implement a few.