If a fire strikes your home or apartment will you be able to save or recover your personal information? A fire proof box could save you time, money, and stress. Trying to recover credit card numbers and other personal information can daunting with everything else that you will have to deal with. You can purchase a reputable fire proof box from Walmart, Target or Amazon to name a few places for a reasonable price. Make the investment, and ensure that your documents are safe.
Once you purchase your fire proof box, don’t guest about what documents should be placed in it. We have a list, which is not all inclusive, but a good start:
- Passport – If you have a passport, you will want to place it in your fire proof box when you’re not traveling.
- Original Birth Certificates – Original birth certificates should be placed in your fire proof box. If you or your children were born locally, a copy can obtained from your local court house for a nominal amount. If you were born out of state, obtain copies and place them with the original in the fire proof box.
- Deeds and Wills – Place the deed for your home and any papers pertaining to your timeshare, rental properties etc, in the box. Include your Will and/or Living Will.
- Power of Attorney – If you have or have granted POA to a friend or family member, place the documents in the box. This includes Medical Power of Attorney.
- Vehicle Titles – Clear titles to vehicles should be placed in the box.
- Household Inventory List and Photos – Take inventory of your household, jewelry, furs, antiques, collectibles etc. Take clear pictures of each item on your list.
- Photo CDs – Place photos on a CD that you would want to reprint if destroyed. I also have photos on my laptop copied on a flash drive and in my box as well.
- Insurance Policies – Keep your home owners, life insurance and any other policies in the box.
- Credit Cards Numbers, backup ATM cards or health insurance cards etc. – Write down your credit car numbers and their expiration dates. Keep an extra copy of your ATM and health insurance cards on hand as well.
- Social Security Cards – Place yours and family member’s cards in the box. Numbers can be written down in another location or memorized.
Again, this list is not all inclusive. If you have adoption papers, a marriage license or other legal documents be sure to include them too.