Summer is just about over and the kids will soon be returning to school. Where did the time go? Backpacks, school supplies, and clothing will be needed for the upcoming school year. Parents will be heading out to stock up on school supplies. Here are a few tips on how you can stock up and shop wisely:
1. Make a list of the needed supplies – Check your child’s school site for a list of needed supplies for the upcoming year. Many schools provide a list of the school supplies needed for the upcoming year as well to local Kmarts, Wal-Marts, Office Max etc. Be sure to add extra items for homework and additional week-end/tutoring sessions. You can save money by not guessing about what is needed or having to make an additional trip to the store because you omitted items.
2. Take inventory of supplies from last year purchases – Check your supplies from last year so you won’t buy duplicate or unnecessary items when you head to the store. You can spend that money on other items.
3. Do your homework – Check ads for the best deals. Head to your local Dollar Store first and eliminate as many items as possible. You can purchase quality crayons, pencils, pencil cases, sharpeners and inexpensive notebooks for practicing math problems etc. here.
4. Purchase quality items – Purchase quality book bags and electronics. Trust me, you will end up spending the money again if you don’t purchase quality items. Check online stores like Best Buy, Amazon, Dell, HP etc. for great deals on electronics and look for free shipping sites. I purchased a Michael Jordan book bag for my grandson last year. He will carry it for years before I have to purchase another.
5. Take the student with you – Getting the children involved helps eliminate items that they may be unhappy with and it also gets them involved in the back to school process. If the student doesn’t want to go along, ask them for any specific items they may want.
6. BOGO is your friend – You will use the item later in the year I guarantee it, so go ahead and indulge. The item may not be BOGO later in the year.
You may want to purchase a storage bin to house school supplies for the upcoming year. Items will be easy to track and access when needed too. What tips can you add to the list?
You may also like: Back To School Shopping Tips