Do you need a self-esteem boost? At one point in my life I saw myself as an attractive, sexual, and vibrant woman. I looked in the mirror one day and I realized that I had bags under my eyes, more gray hair, and I looked tire. I wondered what had happened. When I looked back over the years I realized that I had lost myself.
I had become a wife, mother, taxi driver, nose wiper, bottom cleaner, chef, CEO, house keeper, medicine dispenser, CFO, and it all led to exhaustion. Being a mother has been my greatest joy. But I had forgotten that I was so much more. As women we can become so entrenched in our roles that we can loose ourselves along the way. We wake up one morning, and wonder what happen to our self-esteem.
Furthermore, I remembering having my house remodeled several years ago. My main focus was the master bath. I have a huge garden tub that I wanted to refresh. Additionally, the shower needed a makeover. So, I decided to install a rain shower head. Additionally, I wanted to tile around the vanity, shower and tub.
I stood in stores for hours looking until I found the perfect tile. I even had a seat constructed in my shower so I could carefully shave my legs, and a heated ceramic floor installed. After the project was finished, I surrounded my tub with beautiful candles and spa towels. It was my favorite room in the house. It’s funny, I can’t remember the last time that I soaked in that tub. Let alone sip a cup of tea and enjoyed the flicker of the flames on the candles.
You may be wondering what I did to get back on top. Here’s a few tips on how I boosted my self-esteem and placed myself back on the throne:
1. Know that you’re important – You’re an entity in your home too, and it’s okay to love yourself. Make time to do the things that you enjoy such as having a glass of wine, scrapbooking, reading, cross-stitching, watching your favorite TV show, or playing a computer game. Whatever you enjoy, take time to enjoy it.
2. It’s okay to not respond to every need that everyone else has – Trying to please very one will wear you out, lead to stress, and health problems. Remember you need your rest too.
3. Accept responsibility for where you are now – Don’t blame your kids or your husband, you have the power to say I’m tired I need to rest, I need help or I need time for myself and take it.
4. Become determined and self-reliant – Do what you can around your house, rather than sitting around waiting on your husband or significant to do everything for you. Take the stress off yourself because you’re waiting for someone to complete a project for you. It could also take the stress of your husband or significant other too. This includes painting a room, building those raised garden beds, painting the deck furniture, cleaning out the garage etc. There’s some great bloggers out there that show you how.
5. Stop trying to take on everything – There are no shortcuts in life, it can be brutal at times. We must learn to let things go, take a deep breath and exhale. Set priorities and learn to walk away when things get overwhelming. Tomorrow is another day, you can get it done then.
6. Budget your money and treat yourself – If you are a SAHM, get a pay check for your work inside the home. Purchase a bouquet of flowers for yourself or treat yourself to a manicure, pedicure or facial. Not your thing, buy a new dress and have a monthly date night with your husband or significant other. It will recharge your batteries!
It’s important to reclaim your self-worth and start treating myself like the queen that your are. I have learned that it’s okay to make myself number one occasionally. Being mom, wife, and grandmother are wonderful roles, but we should never loose ourselves. They aren’t inclusive of who we are. We hope that you have found our tips on how to boost your self esteem helpful.
Please leave us a tip on how you boost your self-esteem. We may want to incorporate your tip into our routine.