There’s more to Virginia Beach than the Atlantic Ocean and miles of sand. The key is to research free and budget friendly things for the family to do before you leave for vacation or your get away. Make a list of the activities and discuss them with your family. If it’s something they aren’t interested in, you still have time to do additional research before you arrive. I searched the Hampton Roads area, which includes Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Williamsburg and Hampton. There’s something for everybody. Here’s my 9 budget activities in Virginia Beach:
1. Naval Station Norfolk – See the world’s largest naval base. The base houses 75 ships and 134 aircraft carriers, cruisers, destroyers, large amphibious ships, submarines, supply ships, airplanes and helicopters. In addition, the tour includes historic homes in the Jamestown, VA area.
2. Beach Street USA Entertainment – You can find laser and light shows to interactive adventures based on a theme or popular movies. You could be required to unravel a murder mystery, play other games or compete in contests. They also have nights where you dress up as characters from movies or watch a movie on the beach. Check out the site for activities of for day.
photo from Virginia Legends
3. Virginia Beach Legend Walk – Free tour of Virginians who have made significant contributions to the country and/or world. Some of the inductee are Arthur Ashe, Patsy Cline, Katie Couric, Ella Fitzgerald, and Bill “Bojangles” Robinson to name a few. Great way to get a family conversation going on the inductees.
4. Virginia Beach Amusement Park – The Hurricane, Skycraper, Music Express and Comic Storm are a few rides that you will discover on the boardwalk. Great entertainment for the entire family. Park offers all day wrist bands too.
photo from Mt. Trashmore
5. Mt. Trashmore Park – A 165 acre park that has 11 picnic shelters of various sizes, 2 volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, playgrounds, a skate park, restrooms, outdoor fitness stations, concessions and fishing. If you have a driver’s license or other photo ID you can check out badminton equipment, football, Frisbee, horseshoes, volleyball and net, wheelchairs and more. Great way to spend the day away from the beach and enjoy free activities along with a picnic.
photo from Jungle Golf
6. Jungle Golf – 18 hole course with an air conditioned snack bar.
Photo from Ocean Breeze Water Park
7. Ocean Breeze Water Park – The park has over 30 rides, slides, and attractions and is located approximately 10 minutes from the Virginia Beach ocean front. Parking, sunscreen and inner tubes are free. Trams are also available to help you breeze your way into the park.
8. Firework Display – Ocean Front. Be sure to check the schedule for dates and times.
9. Hunt Club Farm – Check out the Petting Zoo and Pony Rides at Hunt Club Farm. They have chickens that are friendly enough to pickup, llamas, goats, peacocks, turkeys and many other animals. They also offer pony rides, a playground area and shaded picnic tables to enjoy a snack or picnic. The farm also sells homemade jams, jellies, soaps, candles and more.
The fireworks displays are truly spectacular over the ocean. My grandchildren love the petting zoo and pony rides at Hunt Club Farm. The boys love the Ocean Breeze Water Park too. Adults and kids can enjoy Beach Street USA entertainment. You can find something for everyone on this list without breaking the bank.