Mother’s Day is around the corner. It’s so important that we honor our mothers, but are you tired of giving and receiving the same gifts for Mother’s Day? Do you want to do something unique and memorable, but lack innovation? I’ve come up with a few ideas that will lead to an unexpected and exciting Mother Day with a little ingenuity. No flowers, chocolates, or dinner at a local restaurant on this list, just unique ideas that will be sure to please. Here’s my list of unique gifts for mom:
1. Photo Blanket – I loved this idea and it’s great for any occasion. Gather a few of mom’s favorite photos or yours and have them added to a nice warm blanket for mom to snuggle in. Great for chilly evenings and week-ends or just to display. Great conversation piece too.
2. Wine Club Membership – Is mom a wine lover? How about a membership to the Wine of the Month Club or a wine gift basket. Two bottles of wine per month will be shipped to your front door or a fine wine gift basket delivered. This would be a perfect gift for me, as I’m a lover of wines especially red wines. You may also want to check your local winery to inquire about a custom basket for mom or membership.
3. Breakfast in Bed – How about serving mom breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day or week-end breakfast for a month? Nothing fancy, fresh fruit and a croissant. Yogurt with her favorite coffee or go ahead and whip up a full fledged breakfast starting with fresh squeezed juice followed with bacon, eggs and toast. Print up a few certificates and place them in a gift box. When mom needs a break, let her turn in one of her coupons.
4. Afternoon Tea – Invite over a few of mom’s friends or family member and serve them tea and biscuits.
5. Latte Machine – Purchase a Latte machine and whip up a few Lattes with her new machine on Mother’s Day. Rather than running out for a special treat, she can brew her own in the comfort of home.
6. Massage – Get mom a gift certificate for a massage. I have one every year for my birthday, and I swear by them. The Swedish Massage is my favorite. They rub and roll all my stress away from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. You may be able to find a masseuse who makes home visits.
7. Dinner for Two – Make her favorite meal at home. One of my best memories of Mother’s Day was a home cooked meal, and I didn’t have to cook it. I’m not sure if it was truly the taste or the thought that made it so delicious.
8. Happy Hour – Invite a few of mom’s friends over for cocktails and be their bartender and designated driver for the evening. Offer a buffet of wings or shrimp, cheese and crackers, vegetables with dip and fresh fruit. She will love you for it, and so will her friends.
9. Cleaning Service – I have cleaning service once a month and it is heavenly. My house is cleaned from top to bottom, and I lightly maintain it during the rest of the month. Best gift ever.
10. Magazine Subscription – I love being able to sit in my favorite chair on Saturday mornings and flip through my favorite magazines, Bird and Blooms and People, while sipping a cup of coffee and watching the news.
11. Coffee Club Membership – I had a membership to a coffee club a few years ago and really enjoyed it. A different flavor of coffee is shipped each month.
12. Manicure/Pedicure – Get mom a gift certificate for a manicure and pedicure at a local nail salon. It’s so relaxing and summer is around the corner. She will want to have her tootsies ready for sandals.
13. Salon Gift Certificate – Mom often sacrifices to ensure everyone else has what they need. A gift certificate to a local salon for a hair cut or color would be welcome.
14. River Boat Cruise – If you live near a riverboat, took a dinner cruise, let mom play the slots for a few hours or just enjoy the ride.
15. Gift Card – A gift card for a small shopping trip or on-line excursion is always welcome.
I hope you have been inspired by my list and will select a idea or two for your mom or yourself. Since I have indulged in the majority of the ideas, I highly recommend them. What’s your favorite idea on the list? Please leave a comment.