Kids often get excited and need reminders on being safe in and around the water. Although my granddaughter doesn’t like the ocean, she heads toward the water to fill her bucket for sand castles. As a result, we need to have somebody watching the water and somebody watching her on the beach. My grandson on the other hand will stay in the water until he shrivels up. We need someone to stay in the water with him until it’s time to take a break.
Here are the rules that I’ve put together when we’re at the beach. Our beach safety tips will keep your child out of harm’s way in and out of the water. As parents it is our responsibility to keep our children safe:
- Never enter the water alone – Make sure children understand that they should only enter the water with an adult or older child.
- Set limits – Provide an area that they are not to wade past while in the ocean.
- Observe your surroundings – Teach them to look for family or landmarks when they want to come out of the water.
- Train your children to listen – Teach them to listen for the lifeguard’s whistle when they’re in the water and to follow instructions from the lifeguard and family.
- Stay Hydrated – They should understand the importance of taking a break from the water to rest and drink plenty of fluids. Offer water, fruit flavored waters or Gatorade instead of soda or sugary fruit drinks.
- Apply Sunscreen – Make sure everyone is adequately covered in sunscreen. My dermatologist recommended Neutrogena. A beach hat is a good idea too.
- Explain Signs – Make sure kids understand safety signs posted around the beach.
- Provide Adult Supervision – Make sure an adult is always present to oversee the children in the water and on the beach.
- Re-enforce Stranger Danger – The beach is full of people, so go over the rules of interacting with strangers, especially adults.
- Provide a Shaded Area – Set up an umbrella so everyone can rest in the shade and allow the body to cool down and refuel.
What rules do you have for the beach? We would love to add them to our list.
You may also like: 15 Summer Activities For Kids